- 23 April: Official launch of MiSST in Highbury Grove School with founders Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber and Andrew Wolfson present as special guests.
- April: Italy Tour – 40 HGS students embark on a journey to Lucca in Italy.
- June: Matthew Morrison who played Will Schuester in Glee drops in at Highbury Grove School and does an assembly offering students advice and a master class. An extremely exciting day for all students.
- September: Lister Community School in Newham joins the programme with 240 year 7 students.
- October: New Zealand’s Minister of Arts, Culture and Heritage Mr Christopher Finlayson visits HGS to learn about MiSST and the programme.
- May: Lister school holds their spring concert where all year 7s perform a beginners level repertoire.
- July: Year 7 HGS music students play at Lister Community Fayre.
- September: 4 new schools join the MiSST programme; Frederick Bremer School in Waltham Forest, Sedgehill School in Lewisham, Mount Carmel RC College in Islington and Islington Arts and Media School.
- November: A group of students busk at Highbury and Islington Underground Station to raise funds for musical instruments for students Parla – Spain.
- December: All schools hold their Christmas/Winter Concerts.
- 6 – 7 January: NYO Residency held at Highbury Grove. NYO musicians led workshops with students and all perform pieces orchestrated by Dimitri Scarlato.The NYO perform Elgar Symphony No 1 conducted by John Wilson to an invited audience – it was spectacular.
- 26 January – 14 students from HGS invited by Andrew Lloyd Webber to see his recently revised musical CATS.
- 7 – 12 February: 40 pupils tour to Parla – Spain.
- 19 – 23 March: Italy Tour – HGS Junior Orchestra tour to Lucca in Italy.
- 11 May: MiSST’s inaugural concert at the Barbican. An extremely important day for all students.
- 1– 4 July: MiSST Summer Residency at Radley College.
HIGHBURY GROVE SCHOOL
Deronne White: Year 13
Before Deronne joined Highbury Grove he played the violin, however he never achieved any grades. Despite Deronne being unaware of the music provision when he initially joined Highbury Grove, he immediately took full advantage of it. Deronne began to play the cello in year 7, but after being inspired by the sound and melodies of the flute, Deronne took up the instrument in year 8. At present Deronne is studying for his A Level in music and is set to achieve well.
Deronne’s mother is extremely supportive of his musical pursuits and loves to watch him perform. Deronne says “My mum is often surprised by my ability, she was especially surprised when she watched my GCSE flute performance.”
Deronne has auditioned for one of the coveted positions as a flautist in the National Youth Orchestra for the past two years since he has become eligible to apply. This year he made it to the final round of auditions but narrowly missed again. Not perturbed by this, Deronne has set to practicing even harder on his flute and hopes that his acceptance to London Schools Symphony Orchestra will develop him as a player to achieve his future dream of studying in a music conservatoire.